I wanted chicken schnitzel but at the same time my tastebud was craving for some Mexican spices – cumin, coriander, and lime. So, I thought… hmmmm maybe I can find something on the internet that can satisfy both. And of course, I found Irena Macri Paleo recipe thats catered for those who are on healthy meal plan (Mom! this sounds like your meal plan).
By the way, I did some tweaking with the recipe to suit my Malaysian tastebuds; Yes! Cili PADI and also opt for the usual breading ingredients instead of using Cassava flour.
Ingredients for marinate
3 chicken breasts
1 cup of milk/ buttermilk
Salt & Pepper
Steps for marinate
- Slice the chicken breast into half and pound the chicken out so that it gets thins, roughly 1/4 inch.
- Marinade the chicken with milk and season it with salt & pepper. Set it aside and leave it at least 30 minutes.
Note: I know this is probably something that some already know but marinating chicken breast with milk will help to tenderise the chicken. In other word, your chicken breast won’t be so tough when you fry it in that hot pan. So, you can choose to skip this part but I suggest that you don’t if you want a nice and juicy chicken schnitzel.
Ingredients for breading
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup of flour
2 cups of breadcrumbs
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
Optional : 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Steps for breading
- Pour 1 cup of flour in a bowl and set aside. *Bowl #1*
- Whisked the eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Take another bowl *bowl #3* and combine the breadcrumbs, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, ground coriander, and parmesan cheese (optional).
- Set up all the bowl 1, 2 ,3 and an empty plate for the coated chicken schnitzel.
- Dip the marinated chicken into the first bowl with flour.
- Next, dip the flour coated chicken into the second bowl with whisked egg.
- Finally, place the egg coated chicken breast into the bowl of breadcrumbs and spices. Set aside into the empty plate.
- Repeat Step 5,6, & 7 for the remaining chicken breasts.
Ingredients for frying
2 cups of oil (peanut or canola oil would be best)
Coated chicken schnitzel
Steps for frying
- Fill your frying pan or dutch oven with the oil and heat it up to 190C.
- Fry the chicken schnitzel until its deep golden brown.
- Then, drain the excess oil from the chicken schnitzel using a paper-towel lined plate.
- Continue frying the rest of your chicken while resting the cooked ones on a pan with a wire rack on it and set it inside a warm oven. This should keep your chicken warm, and prevent the chicken from getting soggy at the bottom.
Ingredients for the sauce
3 tbsp yogurt
3 tbsp of chopped coriander
1 green Chile (slices)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 juice of lime (you can add more if you like)
A pinch of salt
Optional – 1 tsp of cili padi powder.
Steps for the sauce
- Combine all ingredients and blitz it in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Set aside and chill it before serving.
You can choose to pair this with:
- Cucumber & tomato salad
- Mashed potatoes
- French fries
- Smashed avocado salad
- Spicy garlic roasted broccoli
- Creamed spinach
- or just plain rice (my kids love this)