This is definitely not a sponsored post and Im sure you can use other Instant Noodle brands out there. However this recipe will work best with Maggi Mee. Reason being because I don’t know any other tomyam instant noodle because growing up, my mother likes to stock up on Maggi instant noodles. No, she’s not lazy or anything like that. In fact we have food all the time but I guess, my mom just loves Maggi mee. Hehe. Hi mom! I just let out your secret here. Maggi addict.
So, recipe here you go. Note: This recipe is meant for one person. If you want to make a big batch, you have to tweak the recipe accordingly. It is really up to you and you know that. 😉
1 packet of Maggi Mee Tomyam (theres two parts of this : the noodles and the seasoning packet)
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 shallots / bawang merah kecil, thinly sliced
1 cup of tamarind juice (you won’t need all, taste as you go)
1 cup of water (or more)
5 birds eye chillies, sliced (or more, I like ’em spicy)
Protein : Prawns / Chicken / Crayfish ( I used crayfish)
- Take a small pot out and heat it up with 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add in the garlic, shallots and birds eye chillies. Sauté’ it till fragrant. (If you are using chicken – add in this and sauté it together with the shallots and garlic)
- Add in coriander roots and the seasoning. Continue sauté’-ing for another minute.
- Add in 1 cup of water to the pot (or more if you like it soupy and stir.
- Once, it starts simmering – add in the instant noodle and 1/4 cup of tamarind juice. Cover the pot with a lid for a minute until the noodles has soften.
- Next, add in the egg and immediately stir it. Its like a thickening agent for the soup. I like it slightly thicker. Its optional really but trust me, it is nicer with it.
- Since Im using crayfish (also prawn to those who wants to use this) , this will be the last bit that you should add to your pot. It won’t take more than a minute to cook it. So be quick.
- Then, voila. It’s ready to be served.
- Coriander roots – This is also optional but adding this will add that flavour to your tomyam and at least you will forget for a minute that you are having an instant noodle Tomyam noodles.
- Prawn or crayfish doesn’t take too long to cook. If you put it earlier, the chances will be that you will be eating a rubbery texture like prawn/crayfish. So, avoid this but putting it at the very end. However, if you are using chicken ; then its best to sauté it together with the shallots and garlic.
- I bought my crayfish from Dragon Ocean Fishery and they do delivery right up to your doorstep.
Ok, thats all for today folks.
Have a lovely day.